NEW! Parental Controls Product Guide: 2010 Edition
GetParentalControls.org has just released their new Parental Controls Product Guide: 2010 Edition, and they’ve done an excellent job. Written by David Burt, it provides a comprehensive view of the available parental control options to help you understand what tools will work best for your family and kids. A quick review of the topics covered (see Table of Contents below), and you’ll see the breadth of information provided in the guide. Of particular interest may be the overview of mobile phone safety management options as few parents are familiar with these choices.
Table of Contents
What are Parental Controls?
An Overview of Parental Controls: Internet, Mobile Phones, Gaming Consoles, and Media Players
What parental controls do I need?
- Up to 7 years old
- Age 8 to 10 years old
- Age 11 to 13 years old
- Age 14 to 17 years old
Internet Parental Controls Product Comparisons
- Internet Parental Controls Product Comparison
- ISP Provided Parental Controls Product Comparison
- E-mail Parental Controls Product Comparison
- Social networking Parental Controls Product Comparison
- Instant Messaging Parental Controls Product Comparison
- Search Engine Parental Controls Product Comparison
- Virtual Worlds Parental Controls Product Comparison
- Video and Photo Sharing Sites Parental Controls Product Comparison
- Kid Safe Browsers Product Comparison
Mobile Phone Parental Controls
Gaming Console Parental Controls
Media Player Parental Controls
Using Parental Controls to Address Specific Safety Issues: Cyberbullying, Sexting, Privacy, and Predators
Internet Parental Controls Reviews
Kid Safe Brower Reviews
My only objection to this otherwise excellent product guide is the title. Though most products in this category call themselves parental controls and the term is widely used, it implies a power dynamic that’s a very negative approach to what should be positive and nurturing family safety settings.